Skip to main content

Self-Care Isn't Selfish

I get up early. Really early. Before birds, squirrels and bunnies. Even during the holidays, I know that I need to come first or I'm no help to anyone else. And I'm not much fun to hang around with. The rare days that I don't get up before the rest of the house, I'm just not myself.

I've posted about my morning routine in the past, but your self-care should fill your cup. What brings you joy? What gives you confidence to Wonder Woman or Superman through your day?

Start by getting up just 15 minutes earlier for a week. Then increase that by 10 to 15 minutes each week, until you're giving yourself a full hour or more just for YOU. Is this easier in the summer when the birds are awake first? Yes. But you can do this. You need to do this. You matter. And you deserve to start your day living in positivity.
Bottle of lavender essential oil next to a button that says Breathe.

Here are some ideas of what you could do with all of this new time you're going to devote to yourself:
  • Drink 16-20 ounces of water before your coffee or tea
  • Listen to personal development audio books or podcasts
  • Take a 15-minute Epsom salt bath
  • Light a candle, stare at it, and meditate
  • Breathe in lavender or other essential oil
  • Write down 10 things you're grateful for, if you forgot to do it last night
  • Read something positive - articles, books, love notes from your sweetie
  • Paint your nails
  • Put on a face mask and just sit and breathe deeply
  • Write an email to a friend you haven't heard from in a while
  • Look at pictures
  • Book a self-care appointment online (massage, chiro, acupuncture, physical therapy, hair, nails)

MOVE Your Body

Nothing refreshes you like a little exercise.
  • Stretch
  • Foam roll
  • Walk your dog longer than you normally would
  • Yoga 
  • Go for a run
  • Pick a hard-core workout to really get your sweat on
What are your favorite self-care activities?

Comments