Skip to main content

Plan to Finish the Year Strong


Kid's Halloween candy bucket and bowl of candy for trick-or-treaters
Staying on track is hard for me this time of year. It's dark, and it's getting cold. I looked at the 10-day and felt my shoulders drop. Highs in the 30s and 40s with some mention of rain and snow. Winter dread is real, people.

I glance at Princess Leia's giant bucket of Halloween candy. And the even more gigantic bucket of candy my husband brought home. We had exactly zero kids this year. None.

Next up is my daughter's birthday. Every year I make a really cool doll cake. It's a tradition she loves and I love it too. But it means more sugar and chocolate around here. Soon after, it's Thanksgiving - with both families. And Christmas, and then hibernation month - I mean, January.

All of the events and holidays make it hard to keep moving towards my goals. My daughter wants me to have treats with her. I get "the looks" from family when I pass on dessert or second helpings. But I do NOT want to start over on January 1.

So, instead of focusing on temptations, I'm making a plan. I'll wrap up week 1 of my current workout program this morning. For the next two weeks I'll focus on getting faster and stronger than I was the week before. The drills in this program make me forget everything else. They're humbling and are really challenging my mind - and coordination.

Here are some other strategies I'm committing to in order to finish the year strong:

Stay Committed to Exercise
New workout shoes help motivate me to stay committed to exercise
Once I finish the program I'm doing I'll start round 2 of my favorite program. This 13-week program has on demand workouts and a nutrition plan. To prepare, I'll complete an intro week or two of shorter videos, and I've scheduled day 1 for the full program to begin Monday, December 10. I love knowing I'll have the first few weeks done before New Year's Day.

I would love to have accountability partners. Now is a such a good time to get ready - fitness packages are $20 off this month for “No Excuse November.” I learned a lot my first time around, and can help you throughout the entire program.

The key for me is to pick a plan, and stick to it. I put workouts on my calendar like any other appointment. It's my most important meeting of the day. I know the only workout I'll regret is the one I don’t do.

Plan and Prep Meals in Advance
At a minimum, I meal prep all of my pre-workout meals, shakes, and lunches for the week. This ensures I'm organized and eating healthy foods - especially during cold and flu season.

Drink Shakeology
Vitamins, probiotics and other goodies help keep me healthy, and satisfied through lunch. I'll drink my super foods shake each morning, even when we're traveling - individual packets make this really easy!

Drink LOTS of Water
I will drink half my body weight in ounces each day. This includes drinking water before every meal. This keeps any puffiness at bay after those extra salty holiday meals. It keeps my skin from getting dry too.

Eat LOTS of Veggies
A strategy of "veggies most" has taught me that veggies are one of the best ways to stay on track. When I'm craving a big meal, I pile on well-seasoned veggies. Zoodles with a little Italian sausage and marinara is one of my favorites. And I finally cooked my first spaghetti squash this week!

Do Daily Personal Development
I've found podcasts, audio books and other great sources of inspiration to help me learn and grow each day. Even 10 minutes in the morning puts me in a more positive mindset. I cannot say enough about the #Last90DaysChallenge, and the bits of advice I pick up from their weekday live streams. I choose personal development that speaks to me right now about things I'm dealing with or want to improve upon.

I know challenges will come up throughout the rest of year. Having strategies for how to tackle them makes everything feel less daunting.

What are your strategies for sticking to a plan this time of year?

Comments