Skip to main content

Working Out at Home

As many people can relate to, my fitness journey started with school sports, and Jane Fonda VHS tapes. And Get in Shape Girl…anyone else?

But, once I joined a gym and started running, workouts only took place outside my home. Either on the gorgeous trails nearby, or in group fitness classes. A home workout no longer appealed to me.

A dog sitting next to dumbbells on a weight rack and on the floor.When I had my daughter, I still took fitness outside. It was a great way to clear my head and get out and do something just for me. Then my husband started traveling. A lot. So, workouts either didn't happen, or, I squeezed them in over lunch. At that time, I was one of the lucky people who had showers and a locker I could use at work.

My perspective on home workouts has changed a lot since summer. I ran my 10th marathon in May and needed something different. Strength, mobility and healing became my new goals. I made a choice to change my mindset about working out at home, and it's made a huge difference in my life.

I've been an early riser for 10+ years. I get up, have coffee, do some personal development while I eat a pre-workout meal, and then I head downstairs to workout. I used to think I couldn't get a great workout at home. Then I discovered a series of at-home workouts on demand. Not only do I get a great workout, I get positive messages throughout that carry me through my day.

To get setup, I didn't redo a room or do anything drastic. I picked a room and made it work for working out.

We already had a few sets of dumbbells to get me started. Once I was a few weeks in to a 13-week program, I needed heavier weights. I grabbed some 12s and 15s - one set at Play it Again Sports and another at Target. We had an HDMI cable to hook the TV up to the laptop, but I also picked up an adapter so I could run the BOD app from my phone to the TV.

As summer went on, I needed heavier weights again. My husband bought 17.5s and 20s, and a small weight rack on Amazon for my birthday. He also bought a nice wall mirror at Target, so I can check my form. I already had a yoga mat, and the package I purchased came with the other equipment I needed.

To keep things tidy and away from the dog's mouth, I bought a large wire basket at Target to hold my mat, slides, loops, yoga blocks and foam roller.

The space I'm in isn't huge. For the current program I'm doing, I do wish I had more room. But, I just rearrange myself for the drills. If it isn't freezing out, I'll take my workout outside to the patio. Maybe someday I'll have a room totally dedicated to fitness, my lack of the "perfect" space will never keep me from working out.

My change in perspective, and willingness to try something new has given me the gift of time, and allowed me to fully commit to my fitness goals. If my husband travels, my workout schedule doesn't need to change. I still get up before my daughter. She knows that if she gets up and she doesn't see me right away, that I'm likely downstairs getting my sweat on. It's a positive example I'm proud to set for her.

How have you setup your workout space?