Skip to main content

Prep for the Holiday Road Trip

We're heading to my husband's hometown next weekend for Thanksgiving. He's the youngest of six, and it's great when we all can meet up. I love how relaxing it is there. I actually sit for more than 15 minutes at a time, and usually take at least one nap - not typical for me. Our daughter cannot wait to see her older cousins, and to eat grandma's treats.

I'm taking time today to plan ahead. Here are some things I'll do to prep for the car rides, and to keep up my healthy morning routine while I'm there.

Packing for Snacking

Pack healthy snacks for a Thanksgiving road trip - Shakeology shaker cup and packets, water, fruit, protein and kid-friendly snacks.Snacks - a lot of snacks - ensure a peaceful car ride, and help keep me on track when faced with a kitchen full of treats at grandma's. I try to stick with proteins, veggies, fruit and nuts. I also add in some fun foods we don't typically have around the house.
  • Carrots, red peppers, cucumbers, wash and cut
  • Clementines and apples
  • Krave Gourmet Beef Cuts - Sea Salt
  • Ferndale Market Uncured Cranberry Turkey Sticks
  • Applesauce pouches
  • Pistachios
  • Blue Diamond Rosemary and Sea Salt Almonds
  • Pecans - roasted with a little olive oil, salt, cinnamon
  • Barre Baked Crunchy Cinnamon Apple Chips
  • Dot's Pretzels
  • Kind Bars
  • Annie's Bunny Fruit Snacks
  • Simply Balanced sparkle waters
  • Fill lots of water bottles
  • Teas
  • Shaker cup
  • Beachbars
  • Shakeology packets

Packing All the Stuff

It's a real bummer when I go to pack, only to find zero clean underwear - for anyone - or the favorite blankie under a wet towel on the basement floor.
  • Wash ALL the laundry
  • Download shows and movies for my daughter
  • Download workouts that don't require equipment on Beachbody on Demand app - just in case all 15 of us try to use wireless at the same time
  • Charged Garmin and iPod, sunglasses, cold weather workout gear, so I can sneak out for a run
  • Kid-safe headphones
  • Several charging cords for iPad and iPhones
  • Mini fan - I go to bed early and it helps me sleep
  • Magazines - it's the one time I really catch up on Runner's World and the other stack I haven't touched
  • Notebook - I have a lot of solid random thoughts when I'm riding in the car. And it's a good time to plan ahead for date nights, and my next challenge group.

Morning routine

It's tougher to nail the morning routine while traveling, but I try not to stray too far from the most important stuff.
  • First one up
  • Drink 16-20 oz. water while I make coffee
  • Read and listen to personal development books and podcasts
  • Chat with my mother-in-law
  • Check out her Better Homes and Gardens and Rachel Ray magazines - LOVE!
  • Watch daughter down a minimum of 2 kolaches and a cinnamon bun
  • Put on workout clothes
  • Run outside, or wake husband up working out next to bed
  • Listen to more podcasts while I clean up
  • Drink Shakeology
  • Sit back and relax, and remember how lucky I am to have this amazing family in my life

Comments