Skip to main content

Why Wait Until January?

Water bottle next to a picture of water in a lake
December is a great time to start working on health and fitness goals. Small changes can really add up.

A simple first step is to drink more water. Divide your weight in half. Drink that many ounces of water every day. Keep a log and see how you feel. Make another positive change next week. Take an Epsom salt bath on Sunday night, or add a few more blocks to your morning walk.

I've always been committed to exercise, but this summer I realized that I needed to heal some nagging injuries and focus on strength. My body and mind were feeling burned out and bored. My nutrition was hit or miss.

Once I decided I was ready to take more positive steps to feeling better, I re-committed to drinking a lot of water. I'm also setting aside time each day for self-care and personal development. I've participated in online accountability groups, and now I'm starting one of my own.

I've also completed four "non-running" fitness programs that have changed me inside and out. These are on demand workouts I do at home, wearing anything I want. No one watching. No one judging. I can hit pause when I need to catch my breath.

On December 10, I'm starting a second round of a 13-week program, focusing on core and glutes (and everything else) - something many runners struggle with. Runner's butt, anyone? Sit at a desk all day? Check and check. This program is 6 days a week. The nutrition plan is fantastic. I've missed the cast, which sounds weird, but you really get to know them.

On Monday, my husband started his second round of an 8-week program that combines old school lifting with dumbbells, and high intensity interval training. It's awesome. It's 4 days a week.

Small steps can lead to big improvements in how you feel.