Skip to main content

TC Marathon Sunday

I love Twin Cities Marathon Sunday! When I'm not participating, I like to get the dog out for a walk early, bring her home and head out for a solo out-and-back long run on Minnehaha Parkway and West River Road.

It's so quiet on race morning. The only cars are the Park Police getting the ready for the leaders. Once I turn around to head south, there's a lot of activity at the water stops. People start arriving at their favorite places to cheer.

I haven't logged many long runs these days, since I'm mainly focusing on strengthening with LIIFT4, but I had to get out today. It smelled like fall with fires and bacon wafting through the air. The trees along my favorite spots are just starting to turn. I tried to take it all in before the leads started coming through.

After a little run/cheering I headed home to clean up. I'm not in great running shape at the moment, but felt proud I could still crank out 7.5 miles. I collected my husband, daughter, dog, and 3 cowbells and headed to out our favorite spot, just before mile 15.

We caught the middle of the pack runners (my people). Many were smiling and loved seeing our daughter and dog. We're pretty obnoxious, yelling out names of runners who put them on their bibs, and our standard shouts of, "Go runners! You've got this! It's YOUR day! Looking good! Keep it up keep it up! It's a great day to run 26.2!"

Occasionally I get a blister and sore shoulder from the cowbell ringing. Santa ran this year, and our daughter thought that was pretty amazing. After cheering at so many races, she is a pro. She knows how much it helps the runners keep on pushing.

I know how it feels at that point in the race. You feel good, but know those hills are still ahead. Things start to get all kinds of real when you hit Summit Ave.

I always get a little choked up cheering. The marathon is a huge commitment, full of sacrifices, planning, optimism, doubts and aches and pains. This sport has given our family amazing memories and I hope all of the participants feel proud and soak up all the feels at the finish. And the broth. It's delicious.

Comments