Skip to main content

Where I Get My Recipes

My husband was very "meat and potatoes" when we met, but he credits me with making him brave enough to try almost anything. I have my family to thank for that. My dad used to own a restaurant and did the bulk of the cooking while I grew up. My mom was also a great cook and I think I got my baking skills from her. My sister is a chef and teaches cooking classes, so she's always telling me about her latest creations and sharing her recipes.

My mother-in-law cooks amazing feasts whenever we're home for a weekend or the holidays, and I've learned a lot from her. The way she creates fantastic meals for 10-20, depending on which kids and grandkids are home, is incredible. One of my favorite things about her meals is the huge bowl of fruit she always has on hand. My husband and I almost always end our meals with a bowl of fruit. It curbs my "I need something sweet" craving and gives us a little something healthy instead of a full-blown dessert.

I have some other favorite resources for new recipes including Cooking Light, which is my favorite cooking magazine. It contains recipes that are healthy, simple to make, and taste great. Cooking Light has photos of most of their recipes, and also includes articles on exercise, traveling, and how to live a healthier life.

There's also the always reliable Betty Crocker's Cookbook. If I'm ever in doubt about cooking times and temps for beef or pork I always check with Betty. It's also a great resource for appetizers, side dishes, soups, and more. If you're fortunate enough to have an extremely old copy, make sure to flag the recipe for eggs a la goldenrod, one of our family favorites.

Eggs a la Goldenrod

4 hardboiled eggs
2 T. butter
2 T. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
dash of pepper
1 c. milk
slices of wheat bread toast

Melt butter over low heat in a heavy saucepan. Stir with a wooden spoon. Blend in flour & seasonings. Cook over low heat, stirring till mixture is smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat.
Stir in milk and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute.

Hardboil 4 eggs. Remove yolks and save 2 of them. Break up the whites and put into the white sauce. Pour sauce over toast. Press the 2 yolks through a sieve over the white sauce.

Tip: Check Betty Crocker's Cookbook for tips on perfect hardboiled eggs.

Comments