Skip to main content

Spaghetti Sauce in the Cav

I was thinking about my favorite family recipes tonight and my mom's spaghetti and meatballs came to mind. The year she passed away, my dad turned 65 and my sister and I decided to throw him a surprise party. I was in charge of making dinner. I made the sauce ahead of time and put everything in my little Cavalier to drive over to my dad's house where we were having the party.

As I turned off of 94 to merge onto highway 52, a big wave of steam surrounded my head. I spilled almost an entire crockpot full of sauce in the back of my car. Even after a nice car detailing the Cav still smelled fantastic!

Spaghetti & Meatballs

Meatballs
1/2 pound ground pork
1/2 pound groud beef
2 medium onions, finely chopped
1 T. olive oil
3-5 large cloves of garlic
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup grated Parmessan cheese
1/2 cup dry Italian breadcrumbs
1 egg
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Brown onions and garlic in olive oil. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and form into small balls. Brown meatballs in oven on cookie sheets at 350 degrees for 8 minutes per side.

Sauce
2 large yellow onions, browned in olive oil
4 large garlic cloves (I usually make it 6!) - crushed
2 large cans Italian pear tomatoes
1 large can of water
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried oregano
3 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp. red (cayenne) pepper
2 cans tomato paste

Add meatballs to the sauce and simmer on low heat for at least 3-4 hours. The longer the better. I always use a large crockpot to make this recipe.

Comments