Skip to main content

Las Vegas Marathon Finishers!

Mark overcame a knee injury during marathon training and finished the Las Vegas Marathon in 3:36. AMAZING!

I also finished, but he had to wait quite a while for me! He greeted me with a huge bear hug at the finish. Neither of us knew if I'd make it through this one as I acquired some injuries a few weeks before the marathon. My left IT band was hurting from mile 3 on but I somehow made it through. I met a very nice woman named Lynn and we finished the last 7 miles together. I thank God I met her as I didn't think I could finish alone. She was amazing! This was her 7th marathon and she'd just had surgery in August. Very tough and inspiring. It was great having our friends there with us this year to cheer us on and celebrate afterwards. Mark and I hobbled around Vegas the rest of the trip, but still had a great time.

The holidays have already passed us by and we're here in Iowa celebrating with Mark's family. We celebrated Christmas Eve at my sister's and Christmas Day at at our house. Probably one of the best meals I've made in years. Fresh ham and gravy, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, scalloped corn, and roasted cauliflower. Dessert was Christmas cookies and berries with creme anglaise. Our friend joined us for Christmas and we had a great time playing games, drinking wine, and watching movies.

I'm really looking forward to the New Year and planning our next races . . . pending a hopefully speedy recovery. I was finally able to run 2 miles pain-free today so I'm feeling optimistic that we may be able to plan a spring or early summer marathon.

Comments