Skip to main content

2 Weeks Till Grandma's

Just 2 more weeks of tapering to go. I had a really good 10-mile long-run along the river and the creek. A friend joined me for part of it and that made the run fly by. I felt great despite the humidity.

My 20-miler last week, however, was not so pleasant. The first humid run of the season did not treat me well. The water belt was bugging me from the start as was an odd case of nausea. It took an embarrassing number of hours to finish, but I'm glad I didn't skip the last lap around Nokomis as I so desperately wanted to. It was a very off day, but I am still feeling confident about the marathon.

It's amazing how many little details we're thinking about like where do you put all of your Gus and shot blocks? Which water stops do we stop at? Do we carry our own water so we can keep running if we don't feel like stopping at the water stops? Where the heck will our family find us? How long after Mark finishes will I finally make my way to the finish? How can I possibly stand the sound of my own breathing for 4+ hours sans iPod??

It's all coming to a close now. I'm excited, scared, a little sad, and a little happy. Our friend just completed the San Diego Marathon and we got to hear all about it over dinner yesterday. It definitely got us pumped up for the rush of the whole experience and the motivation of the huge crowd of runners and spectators.

I've loved the whole experience of the training program and have really made some major lifestyle changes to fit it all in. I like having a schedule laid all out for me and working everything else around that. I love how I feel and that all the major aches and pains I had at the start have gone away. I wonder if this will be our one and only marathon or if we'll want to do others.

Time will tell. Just 2 more weeks of obsessing about the little things. Just 2 more weeks until we see what we're really made of.

Comments