Skip to main content

Made it to Vegas - Heading to Duluth

I'm certainly slacking with this blog lately and it seems to have turned into a running blog rather than a food blog over the past several posts. I'm hoping to get back into writing more about each as they've both become so important to me.

We did eventually make it to Las Vegas for the half-marathon and it was a blast! We were delayed (very delayed) and I had a cold by the time we arrived, but somehow I managed to run a great race. I shaved 12 minutes off my October half-marathon time. My voice was 7 octaves higher than the day before due to my cold, but I was so excited when I finished the race. I've never had that same feeling before.

Now Mark and I are heading to Duluth in June to run Grandma's! I had no intention of ever running a full marathan, that is, until my great race in Vegas.

That's the thing about running. You start out, never really knowing where it may lead. Then all of a sudden you're into it. You buy the right shoes for your curiously flat feet. You read Runner's World cover-to-cover within a day of its arrival. You read 3 books about running in one month and somehow motivate your ever-so-content-hanging-out-in-the-living-room-with-our-cuddly-dog husband to get into running too.

We're just wrapping up week 2 of the 20-week training program we're following from Marathoning for Mortals and are feeling good. The long runs are going to creep up on us pretty quickly, but we're really enjoying having a regular training schedule again along with a goal to achieve.

I was so happy to get out and run at Lake Nokomis one day this week. I love the YMCA, but running 11 laps for a mile inside wears on a person after a couple months. I'm so looking forward to tomorrow when I can do my 6-mile long run outside. Havin' a heat wave here in Minneapolis - a high of 32!

Comments