Skip to main content

Working on Body and Mind

"Get out of here. You're fat!"
The Perfection Detox book cover. Words have power. Sometimes we carry a word or a cruel statement with us and hear it on repeat in our heads for weeks, months, decades. I did the math - it's been 29 years. For nearly three decades I've heard those words followed by laughter - every single day.

At some point, the voice who said the toxic words can turn into your own.

I'm reading The Perfection Detox with my coach team, and with each chapter, I'm letting myself go there. You know the place. It's where those crappy memories you'd prefer not to let bubble up to the surface live.

Each morning I've read a chapter or two, and whoa, have I worked some things out! One exercise had me write to the person who said those words. The author encourages you to rip the letter up. I've held on to the letter and read it several times. At some point, I'm going to make myself a 'lil bonfire and burn those words up.

I'd never thought about what the boy in 7th grade creative writing class may have been going through until recently. People who hurt, hurt others. Did he mean to cause this much pain? Was he hurting in some way? I'm working on forgiveness and telling those words to hush. They do not serve me. I'm learning to turn down the hurtful and unhelpful voices, and turn up the voices of those who support and celebrate me.

I try to watch what I say to others, and now I'm thinking much more intentionally before I speak. I'm more mindful of my words to others AND to myself.

I've heard that for a good deal of your life, you're writing the pages of your story, and then when you hit your 40s, you finally start figuring out what they mean. Since joining my coach team last summer, I've been working on myself daily, and more things make sense now. Everything I've gone through has taught me something.

I'm working on body and mind, and I'm in a much better place than I was before I met this amazing group of people. We're scattered across the U.S. and all have different stories to tell. We build each other up, and it's a safe place to share what we're going through.

We don't have to process our past out loud, but for me it's been healing. If you're looking for a place where you can fully be yourself, where others lift you up, I would love to have you join me on this team where we coach ourselves and others to live our most fulfilling lives. Drop me a note below and I will reach out to you.

Name

Email *

Message *


Comments