Skip to main content

It's Not Easy - You'll Know When It's Time to Start

“Yeah, but it's easy for you.”

Um, no.
I have baggage and struggles you don't see in a scroll.

I was heavy during the already-feeling-awkward-and-unsure-of-myself years.
I eventually discovered VHS workouts, I played sports, and the weight came off.

I was pretty squeaky clean in high school.
I was a serious student and I played sports. No drinking.
I learned to lift weights. I liked how I felt when I was fit.

My dad nearly died my senior year. He was in a diabetic coma.
I never want to endure what I've seen him go through.

In college, I was still dedicated to learning, AND I let loose.
I was a social 🦋. With that came overindulgence.
Lots of beer and crappy food.
Wasted days sleeping it off.

My world blew up when my mom got lung cancer.
She never smoked and it felt like a cruel blow.
The kind, funny woman made us feel loved and safe, and EVERY holiday was special.
I was in a different state, working too much right out of the gate.
During the worst of her illness, my boyfriend (now husband), Mark, was studying in Rome.
All my friends scattered after college. I never felt more alone.

My mom died in May 2001.
Mark and I moved back after he graduated, to live near my family, and to start a new life.

Old habits are hard to break, but yardwork and house projects replaced partying.
I put in the work to teach myself how to eat healthier, exercise and lose weight.
I decided I'd take charge and control what I could for my health.

I started running. Mark started running. A lot.
I've run 80+ races, including 10 marathons.
I cross-trained. I was all about group fit classes at the gym.
I discovered my love of yoga.
I created a morning routine and BECAME a morning person.

I had a baby in 2012 and returned to running too quickly.
Injuries showed up from not healing my abs.
I worked like crazy to heal that with PT.
I went to PT again last year for hamstring issues.
I developed food sensitivities and learned to eat differently.

While I ate healthy foods, I ate too much of some and not enough of others.
I didn't know how to fuel my workouts or how to recover.
I didn't think it was an option go get off the hamster wheel at work.
I didn't think I could say no, and refused to stop and realize I couldn't do it all.
I didn't YET believe that I could redesign my life after 40.
I kept my dreams locked up in my head.

Why am I sharing all of this?
I hope by talking about my past, that I can help others.

Eating right, staying fit, healing old wounds, and finding my voice IS NOT easy.
It's not easy for anyone.
I struggle AND I work hard day after day.
I put in the time to learn new things.
I live in my discomfort zone on purpose.
I know it's okay to want more out of life.
I've taken chances, said "yes" to new opportunities.
I'm learning to ask for help from a team.

If you want to redesign your life, you can.
If you want to lose weight, eat for long-term health, get in the best shape of your life, find who you're meant to become, you can.
You'll put in the work and figure it out.
You will know when it's time to start.
You don't have to do it alone. Reach out when you're ready.


Name

Email *

What spoke to you most as you read this?



Comments