Skip to main content

I Get to Exercise

Do you have to exercise? Or, do you get to exercise?

One of my running mantras is, “I get to do this.” I feel fortunate every time my body moves how I want it to. I'm happy that I prioritize exercise.

I've had times when working out felt like a chore. I've also had times when it wasn't an option. Injuries, bad colds, or pregnancy-related pain or restrictions - I've had to hit pause. Once movement is taken away, we appreciate it.

I've watched people I love lose their ability to do their favorite things - and even basic things like walking and bathing - due to illness and pain.

I'll always feel grateful for exercise. It's helped me discover my workout soulmates. It's taken me on beautiful runs throughout the U.S. I've kayaked Minnesota lakes, and practiced yoga on the dock. I've explored new cities while traveling. I chase and play with my daughter, and exercise with my dog. I've met amazing people through exercise.

This morning I get to hit play on one of my favorite at-home programs. Then I'll head out for a short training run.

Let's move more and feel gratitude for every step we get to take.

Comments