Skip to main content

Dreaming of Spring Gardening

Dog sitting in the green grass, with blooming flowers and trees This time of year I start dreaming about our garden. The chives are popping up - a reliable reminder that spring will really happen.

Our yard was a jungle when we moved in nearly 16 years ago. Every night, my husband and I would spend hours plugging away on projects outside. One weekend I was visiting a friend in Chicago. I came back to learn that we actually had a patio under all the weeds and mud. Who knew?

We somehow got the weeds under control. We created new perennial gardens and added a raised garden bed. We had the crumbling patio replaced, and my husband built steps, a bar, grilling area and wood shed. This is the best "room" in the house.

Our yard is where we entertain, play with our daughter, relax and think. In early May, I'll head to Gertens, my favorite greenhouse. I have some gift cards I can't wait to use. Until then, I'll let the very brown yard recover from the snow, and will start cutting back the remnants of last year's garden. It was a harsh winter, and I appreciate spring more every year.

Comments